Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sweet Potato Chili

I have a special place in my heart for chili. Probably due to the fact that I was born and raised in Skyline territory, the original chili with chocolate. As cold as this winter has been though, I lacked in the chili recipe department. I did make my Crockpot Skyline Chili, but that is about it until this recipe. Most chili recipes are very similar, meat, either a chicken broth base or tomato sauce base, seasonings and a long date with the stove or crock pot. 

This recipe did have some "zing" to it, granted, I am a weak mouth when it comes to spicy. 


I loved it topped with avocado and some cilantro. I was missing cheese but I must remember I feel enormously better when I do not consume dairy products. 





Sweet Potato Chili (5-6 servings) 

1 lb of ground beef 
1 medium sweet potato peeled and cubed
1 can of diced green chiles
2 cans of diced tomatoes (I used one of Trader Joe's fire roasted)
1/2 cup of chicken stock 
2 tsp of chili powder
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of black pepper 
1/2 tsp of salt (add more for your taste)

Brown the beef in skillet and drain the fat. Combine all the ingredients in a dutch oven (or other pan you can easily cover). Simmer on low for 45-60 minutes. 

Top with avocado and cilantro. Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment