Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Cinnamon Raisin Energy Bites

Yes, I am on my 7th snow day...not in a row but of the year. 
Yes, I will have to make up each one of these days...this means my school year is now into the month of June. When I could be enjoying Reds games. 

No, I'm not taking the day off. Once I'm done on here it's off to bust out three grad school assignments. 

Determined I am. 

Also, I'm rarely on Twitter...so check out my Facebook page. Link is over there. ----->

Onto these delightful bits of goodness. 



Larabars are a slight indulgence of mine. Mostly because they are crazy expensive and I do feel sometimes you are just paying for the ease of pre-packagedness. 

I have been debating or more so probably procrastinating on making my own version of energy packed goodness. I originally conjured up to make a cranberry energy bit but behold I used up all my cranberries to make a friend some cookies. 


Darn. 

I did however have some raisins (they are organic so I don't feel so bad about eating them).

I don't know about you but the whole cinnamon raisin combo is a win for me. I love(d) cinnamon raisin bread, cinnamon raisin bagels, cinnamon raisin cream cheese..pretty much anything. I blame my dear mother for bestowing that love upon me. 



I realized though I don't have to say peace out to this love but adapt it into something healthier and easier on my body. 

Ta-da! 


Cinnamon Raisin Energy Bites. 


aka

Can't stop eating them holy cow these are awesome......bites. 

You may want to make some then walk around the neighborhood and make some new friends. But then again today it's freakishly cold so stay indoors and keep your distance. 

But in all honestly these are good for you. They do have sugar but it's natural from the dates and they are loaded with walnuts and almonds, which is good. Hello Omega-3s. Those bring great skin and hair right?? 

I'm still working on my nutrition knowledge.. I'll be there someday. 


Cinnamon Raisin Energy Bites 

1/2 cup of walnuts
1/2 cup of raw almonds
1/4 cup of almond butter
 6-7 medjool dates (I soaked min in hot water for 3-4 minutes only because they were in the fridge)
1 tsp of vanilla 
1 tsp of cinnamon 
1 tbsp of chia seeds 
1/3 cup of finely shredded coconut
1/4 cup of raisins

In a food processor, pulse the nuts until they are a fine texture. Add the dates, almond butter, cinnamon and vanilla. Pulse until combined and it become a medium brown color. Mixture should be loose but when pressed holds form. If it is crumbly add 1 tbsp of water until the right consistency. You don't want mushy (that sounds appealing..not) but not crumbly somewhere in between. 


In separate bowl, dump nut/date mixture, add chia seeds and raisins. 


Combine (with hands is the best) until everything comes together. 



Now here's the tricky part. You do not want to roll the balls...they will crumble. Instead smoosh (that's a real sciency term there) the mixture in your hands and press into ball form. Press into the coconut flakes.


By the way...coconut is one of my many...many love languages that begin with a C. 

Other examples are: 
Chipotle, Cheese, Chai, Chevron, Coffee....something about that letter C and me. 


 Place in the fridge for about an hour until they are a little bit hardened. But in all honesty you can eat them right away....not that I did that... okay I had to taste test. 


Enjoy 



1 comment: