Thursday, December 5, 2013

Crockpot Cincinnati Chili

One day I was craving chili...but not just any chili...Skyline chili. You see I live just south of good ol' Cincinnati. In case you are unaware Cincinnati is very well known for its chili.



 I went on a search but being a true Cincinnatian I was turned off by some...seriously y'all don't put mushrooms in yo Cincinnati chili. 

Yes, I meant yo. I got sassy on you. 

And zucchini...nope. You can put it on top of zucchini but never put zucchini in it. 

I did learn though that adding cinnamon and chocolate apparently makes everyone believe they have made "Cincinnati" chili.



You hear me? 

Trust me. 

I'm from around Cincinnati. 

I did find one recipe that pleased me. I adapted it to what I had available and what I felt was true to Cincinnati. 

The funny part was I made this, then I watched the Colts play.

I know.....I know....



Crockpot Cincinnati Chili (adapted from Chew Nibble Nosh)

2 lbs of beef (preferably grass fed)
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
2 tbsp of tomato paste (dissolved in 1/4 cup of water)
1/2 white onion diced finely
3 tsp of unsweetened cocoa 
2 tsp of cinnamon
2 tbsp of chili powder 
1 tsp of cumin 
1 tsp of salt
2 cloves of garlic minced 

Cook the ground beef before hand and then crumbled it until it is extremely fine. Trust me. Next add all the ingredients together in a crockpot. Cook on high for 2-3 hours. 

I enjoyed mine on top of spaghetti squash and sweet potato.....just remember don't put it in the actual chili ;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment